Rather than the usual 2 weeks holidaying on a beach with your mates, why not do something totally different? Pack your favourite baseball bat and mitt, soccer ball or your cricket bat and pads, and head out to Livingstone for the most exciting and rewarding adventure of your life.
Close to the magnificent Victoria Falls, the Zambia Sports Coaching volunteer project is an exciting and worthwhile opportunity for sports enthusiasts, and for those with a particular interest to sports, who can get involved in coaching the under-privileged children from the local primary schools.
Some previous sports experience is useful but not essential.
“The projects regularly address their aims and the feedback from locals was tremendous. I fully recommend the experience!” - Mike, New Zealand, aged 38.
It is an opportunity for volunteers to pass on their own passion and skills to the very enthusiastic pupils in this part of Africa. Resources are very limited but the enthusiasm and excitement shown by the children more than makes up for the shortage of equipment.
Current Special Offer
£60 off the project fee for all bookings before 31 May 2014.
- Mentor very excited and often talented children in sports and games at local schools
- Use their skills and knowledge to improve the coaching techniques of community sports leaders
- Teach students valuable life-skills lessons in teamwork communication, nutrition, hygiene etc
- Empower groups of all ages, through sports, to feel valued – many from disadvantaged homes
- Work on building and construction projects within the community
- Immerse yourself in local Zambian culture
- Make friends for life with other international volunteers on the programme
- Visit Victoria Falls and enjoy some of the amazing tourist activities that Livingstone has to offer.
- Opportunities to visit neighboring countries of Botswana, Namibia, and Zimbabwe, on exciting optional excursions.
- Engage with children in after-school clubs, recreational activities and provide an escape from daily life.
“Based on the feedback from the local people whilst on the project we were helping, they were hugely appreciative of the work that was going in and what the project was trying to achieve. From the short time we were there, you could see the impact it was having.
Zambia is a beautiful country full on great things to do, and the staff are hugely helpful and enthusiastic. Sure to have a great time with this wonderfully rewarding experience and come back with many awesome memories. Go for as long as you can!” - Satheesh, UK aged 30
What does a Sports Coach Volunteer do?
Volunteers will work alongside local coaches. These teams, predominantly within Livingstone’s youth leagues, have been established for a long time and continue to make solid progress. It is believed that sport should be accessible to all individuals regardless of age and ability even those who do not attend school or will never play on a team should they be able to participate.
Physical Education within Schools:
Volunteers will spend the majority of their mornings based in various community schools offering PE lessons. PE is featured in the national curriculum and volunteers will prepare lessons using text books, aimed to educate students both in a theoretical and practical sense on topics which will appear in their examinations.
Although the daily schedules are set by the volunteer coordinators, volunteers with particular interests or skills are very welcome. The children are always keen to learn new activities – particularly if they come from overseas! Classes can be arranged for rugby, athletics, cricket or any other skills that volunteers may have. However equipment is difficult to come by so please bear this in mind.
Volunteers are encouraged to bring any sporting equipment they can with them. It will be very greatly appreciated by the community.
Afternoon Community Projects
Volunteers will spend their afternoons helping the local community through various afternoon projects and will rotate between Building and construction projects, Farming, Reading Club, Adult Literacy Club, Afterschool Clubs, Maramba Old People’s Home.
Reasons to volunteer:
- Getting immersed in the community and being involved with those who really need help
- Being based in Livingstone ensures there are plenty of relaxation or adventure activities to enjoy at the weekends.
- Love Sports? Love Football? Then teach it, learn it, guide it, use it, play it, ref. it, coach it, and enjoy it.
- The variety of activities and community projects, from building and painting to HIV education and reading clubs – there’s something for everyone
- The variety of locations! Volunteers will be based within under-privileged communities in various districts of Livingstone, and will enjoy exposure to every inch of day to day Zambian Life.
- The friendly people – the work of a teaching volunteer is very much appreciated by the communities. Volunteers will meet the friendliest, nicest, gracious, most determined, and zealous African people, who are guaranteed to inspire and motivate!
“A totally amazing experience. From start to finish I was supported but challenged within my placement, the only thing I would change is to stay for longer!” - Claire, UK, aged 33
If you’re 17 years or over, have a passion for sport and a sense of adventure, the Zambia Sports Coaching volunteer project could be just the ticket ……
Take advantage of the current Special Offer, and Do something amazing !!